“Holding fast the faithful Word” 1 Tit 1.9a . . . .”Avoid profance and vain babblings” 1 Tim 6.2 . . . .”if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which you have received, let him be accursed” Gal 1.9 NAS
CHARACTERISTICS OF CULTS:
- Many “deny that Jesus Christ is Almighty God in human flesh” -David Weeks. (John 1.1-3; 3.16; Luke 1.31-33)
- Many teach a grace plus good works salvation OR that all will be saved” Ibid. (Rom 4.5′ Eph 2.8-9; Tit 3.5; Jm 2.10)
- Many “deny the reality of eternal damnation of the lost in the lake of fire” Ibid. (Mt 25.46; 2 Ptr 3.3.6-7; Rev 20.13-15)
- They tend to believe that man is basically good not evil in nature, so sin is not viewed as important. And if man was never lost in sin then being saved from sin is also not important. Salvation through the New birth is played down. They see man as OK as he is, morally. (Jer 17.9; Rom 3.10,23).
- “Cults tend to have a prophet or prophetess (founder) who claims to have been directed by God to establish the cult.” . They have writings which they typically elevate above the Bible. Ibid. (2 Ptr 1.21; Prov 30.5-6; 2 Tim 3.16-17).
- They twist or ignore major Bible doctrines related to salvation, the inspiration and authority of the Bible. The deity of Christ, necessity of Christ’s payment for our sin, Jesus’ resurrection, Second Coming, lostness of man, New Birth. They major on new, different or fringe doctrines which deny the centrality of Christ’s work. (Gal chpt 1,2,3)
- They often claim that their church or group is the only way to redemption and or heaven. If true, that would make that group co-redeemer with Christ. (Jn 14.6; 15.4-5; Rev 3.20).
“Believe not every spirit” 1 John 4.1