Taste in movies varies widely, even among Christians. As a repeat viewer of many Hallmark films I offer my evaluation of them as a whole. Exceptions exist! Generally what do I see as their pluses and minuses?
- little titillation
- no cursing, violence or nudity
- upbeat, feel good mood
- happy endings
- missing opportunities to impart timeless, healthy, moral values like: honesty and purity,
- cohabiting, fornication is treated as normal, healthy, with no moral or spiritual consequences
- lacks balanced perspective where pros and cons of immoral behavior are both discussed
- excessive alcohol use
- lying and deceiving by adults and children is viewed as normal
- religious trappings usually Catholic, discriminates against some (not all) conservative family perspectives
- story lines usually evolve around liberal, social agenda: animal shelters not baby-saving, crisis pregnancy centers . . . concerts, school plays not church bus ministry to trailer park kids . . . . marriage decisions based on feelings-‘love’ not factoring in other vital factors like compatible core values . . . .
- missed opportunities to weave in solid successful dating and marriage principles
- repetitious, predictable story lines
- Christmas films: lots of Santa, little of Jesus Christ . . and it is HIS birthday