“Are you marrying Jesus?” Erwin Lutzer asked this question to a lady contemplating marriage. It woke her up. She realized who he really was. It exposed the man as not one with a heart for the Lord. She chose not to marry him.
If a potential spouse is trying to get one to fornicate – “go to bed before the wedding it is best to put that fish back in the pond.” – Erwin Lutzer.
Do you both want a clean, wholesome marriage? Happy, holy homes begin with two godly mates. Putting lipstick on a pig quickly wears off. Blue birds and buzzards do not mate.
Foolish naivete marries the finance’s promises to change later. Wisdom inspects and marries today’s acceptable behavior.
- Is the fiance already guiding the relationship with Bible reading and prayer?
- Does he enjoy, thrive on spiritual discussions or more worldly-minded?
- Are you both already active in a local, Bible believing church? What you see now is what you get.
- Wedding dances do not alter heart desires.
- True love wants to protect the purity of the girl and vice versa. Lust is about self. Love puts the other first.
The Church is called the bride of Christ. He is the groom. The husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the Church.
Am I the Jesus First, active Christian, wholesome person that a godly Chrisian would want to marry? Am I prepared myself for a godly marriage?
“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church an gave Himself up for her; that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word.” (Eph 5.25-26 NAS).