My good friend Jackson was telling me recently about his house being infested with bed bugs. It’s no laughing matter. Jackson related how these bed bugs bite you and draw blood. They multiply quickly and just will not leave. Bed bugs are smart too. Experts have been brought in to rid his house of them.
An expensive, trained dog that can locate bed bug larve was brought in to find them. The were perhaps imported from a recent stay in a motel. Jackson learned that it is best in motel rooms not to place your suitcase on the bed or floor. Place it in the bathtub instead. Hang up cloths in a slosed garment bag.
They can arrive in even new clothing, shopping bags, etc. Ideally, new clothes should be put in the clothes dryer for 45 minutes to sanitize them.
Jackson’s family has had to remove the box springs and sofa. Bed bugs love them. Experts heated his home to 120 degrees. While this treatment took place of course the family had to move out. The bugs die at 122 degrees. I find several principles here related to relationships:
- it is easier to acquire bed bugs than to remove them. Bad relationships can hang on long after being recognized as undesirable, painful and destructive
- extreme measures are often needed to remove them (tough love)
- even good friends, good circumstances can bring us in contact with bad bugs
- bed bugs don’t announce their intentions to bite you in advance – checking out new acquaintances is vital
Establish core values and find friends that have similar commitments. Avoid bed bugs. They bite.
A mighty fortress is our God, A bulwark never failing;
Our helper He amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe Doth seek to work us woe –
His craft and power are great,
And armed with cruel hate, On earth is not his equal.
Did we in our own strength confide Our striving would be losing,
Were not the right Man on our side, The Man of God’s own choosing.
Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He –
Lord Sabaoth His name, From age to age the same – And He must win the battle.
– ” Mighty Fortress” by Martin Luther